Monday, January 13, 2014

Roasted Carrot Korma


When I asked for a juicer for Christmas, I did not realize how expensive juicing can be. It takes a lot of one vegetable to make enough juice for a recipe. So I've been looking for cheap ways to purchase enough veggies for my juicing addiction. But what I thought was a solution, turned out to be a bit of a problem.Costco sells a 10 lb bag of organic carrots for less than $6. I thought I had hit the jackpot. Little did I know that you can only drink so much carrot juice, and ten pounds is a ridiculous amount of carrots.

So I had to get creative. I made carrot muffins, carrot juice, stir fry, and made my boyfriend eat carrots for his snacks and I still had carrots to spare. So as I got ready to prepare dinner, I was struggling with how to incorporate carrots yet again, when I saw two sad little tomatoes who I had forgotten about. That's when it hit me: carrot curry.

Well, not exactly curry; korma. Korma is a type of Indian curry that is creamy. This creaminess can come from dairy products like heavy cream or yogurt, but there are many vegan options as well; such as, nuts, seeds, and coconut milk. Since my boyfriend is not a fan of coconut milk, and we both happen to love love LOVE cashews, that's how I decided to blend this together to make sweet (from the carrots) and spicy (from the masala) korma that is satisfying and comforting.

Roasted Carrot Korma

Ingredients


6  Carrots (not baby, they are too sweet for this recipe)
1/4 cup of cashews 
1/2 onion, finely diced
3-4 fat garlic cloves
2 inches of diced ginger
2 slicer tomatoes, roughly chopped (thinking about trying this with heirloom!)
1 tablespoons of masala powder (whatever masala you prefer, but garam or tandoori work well, I used   tandoori)
1/2 cup of frozen peas 
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Spread the sliced carrots on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Place in the oven for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

2. Mix onion, tomato, garlic, and ginger and half the masala in pot and heat on medium high until the tomato has become mushy, about 5-7 minutes.

3. Take the tomato mixture and blend with cashews in blender. Return to pot.

4. When carrots are done roasting, blend them and then add to the pot with the tomato mix.

5. Add the rest of the masala powder and add more if you like it spicy ;) Make sure to mix the carrot mixture into the tomato mixture well, whisking if you must- I did.

6. Add frozen peas and let the curry simmer for 5-8 minutes until the peas are heated through.

7. Garnish with roughly chopped cashews. Serve over rice and enjoy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment