Saturday, January 18, 2014

Chewy PBnJ Granola Bars

Trying to eat a plant-strong diet means eating more meals in a day.Plants have less calories but more nutrients in a serving than animal proteins do. However, it takes more veggies to fill you up, so I've been snacking a lot. Interestingly enough, protein packed snacks are far more filling for  much longer than carbohydrate filled snacks. This is one reason eating a protein heavy breakfast is such a great way to start the day. Whether it's quinoa flakes in your oatmeal or peanut butter in a smoothie, find a way to add a little extra protein to breakfast if you want to be satisfied until lunch.

I got excited when I realized I could make my own granola bars.I was especially excited since about three months ago I purchased a bag of mixed dried fruits and nuts from Costco that I had yet to use.So I fished out some dried strawberries and peanuts and got to work!

Chewy "No Cook" Peanut Butter and Jelly Granola Bars

 Ingredients

1/2 cup of dried strawberries
1 cup of roughly chopped peanuts
2/3 cup of agave nectar
1/2 cup of peanut butter
2 cups of quick oats
1/2 cup of quinoa flakes 

Directions:

1) Whisk peanut butter and agave together.

2) Pour mixture into dry ingredients until molded together.


3) Line a shallow baking dish with foil or Saran Wrap and press mixture into dish, cover, and refrigerate for 4 hours.

4) When you pull the granola out, cut it into bars and enjoy. Bars can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.

I'm excited to eat these over the week. Quinoa is actually a seed and is nothing but protein and the peanuts provide more protein and healthy fat. It will be a great protein packed snack after my workout, in the middle of the day, and between jobs!


No comments:

Post a Comment