Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Sundried Tomato Pesto with Cashews

 One of the things that people say the most to me when they hear that I'm vegan is "Wait, really? NO CHEESE?" Yes, no cheese and as a lactose intolerant individual, people should thank me for that, if you catch my drift. But in all seriousness, I don't eat cheese, however, that doesn't mean I don't miss it sometimes. There are certain foods that are full of delicious flavor but also full of cheese. So every once in awhile I get it up my butt to try and recreate a cheesy dish as a healthy vegan deliciousness.



One such amazing dish is PESTO! I love pesto. The basil is bright and delightful and the cheese makes it creamy and sultry. Naturally, I thought making a cheese-less version would prove difficult, but I could not have been more wrong. The sundried tomatoes give this pesto an earthy flavor, the basil is effervescent and the cashews are fatty and give the pesto just the perfect texture. My boyfriend and I have enjoyed this on pasta and sourdough toast. I had it for lunch on cucumber pasta! We even used it on pizza instead of red sauce and my boyfriend didn't even add cheese to his. He said his veggie topped pizza was perfectly yummy because of this pesto.

Sundried Tomato Pesto with Cashews

Ingredients

1 Bunch of Basil
1/4 Cup of Sundried Tomatoes in oil
1 Tbsp of the oil from the sundried tomatoes
1 1/2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
2 Cloves of Garlic
1 Tbsp of water
1 Handful of Spinach
1/2 Cup of Cashews (raw or roasted)

Salt and Pepper to Taste

Directions

1. Thoroughly wash spinach and basil. Add to food processor.

2. Crush cloves of garlic to allow for maximum release of flavor.

3. Add all remaining ingredients to food processor and pulse until cashews are in small pieces but not smooth.

4. Use pesto as a topping for pasta, as pizza sauce, or a delicious psread for sandwiches.

Keeps in refrigerator for at least one week. Not sure after that, it hasn't lasted longer in my house!

No comments:

Post a Comment